Brief History of Xavier High School
In 1885 a group of Patrician Brothers opened a school for boys in Olive Street which had been closed since 1882. In 1898, tragic deaths
of some of the Brothers and lack of finance caused their departure. After they left, the Sisters of Mercy carried on both schools
In 1917 the first Christian Brothers to arrive in Albury were Brothers Coman Seery, Jerome Ryan and Hilarion Kelleher. They took responsibility
for the education of the boys, establishing the Christian Brothers’ College in Smollett Street. The same year the Sisters inaugurated
St Joseph’s Ladies’ College with the motto ‘Courage and Faith’. The teaching staff in the expanding schools included many other
Sisters of Mercy and Christian Brothers, some of them ex-students. Gradually also lay teachers took roles in the schools.
In 1959 the secondary section of the boys’ school was relocated to a block of land on Fallon Street, and named Aquinas College with
the motto ‘Doctrinae Radiis’.
In 1982 the decision was made to amalgamate the two secondary schools, and in 1983 Xavier High School began. Xavier High School was
named after Saint Francis Xavier, the patron saint of Australia and Oceania, a man of uncompromising service to the poorest of
the poor and a great teacher. The motto of Xavier High School is ‘The truth will set you free’. The first Principal was Brother
John Henry Thornber and the Assistant Principal was Sister Gwenda Livermore. Xavier High School continued to use the sites of the
two parent schools until January 2001, when the Olive Street site was vacated and all Years 7 to 12 students and all staff settled
on the Fallon Street site.
In the years since Catholic Secondary Education began in Albury, lay teachers have assumed more and more responsibility, and from 2002
Xavier High School has had a lay Principal and is directly under the auspices of the Diocese of Wagga Wagga Catholic Schools Office.