School Counsellor – Anthony Perrone
Location – Administration Building (Front Office)
If you need immediate assistance call Albury Police on 02 6023 9299 or the Albury Police Youth Officer on the same number
Xavier High School provides a student counselling service Monday – Thursday. The service is provided by the School Liaison and Family Support Service within Centacare. The Catholic Schools Office contracts us as part of their commitment to Schools being Communities of Care. Our focus is on helping students find solutions to the challenges they face by identifying strategies for change, developing new skills, or building on existing strengths. Counsellors treat all information as confidential. There are however exceptions to the right to confidentiality with respect to situations which involve danger to the student or to someone else and Child Protections matters.
There are a number of ways the School Counsellor may help out:
- Talk to young people about numerous different topics and offer counselling support.
- Some of the areas may include, but are not limited to;
- Depression, sadness and feeling “down”
- Anxiety, worry and fears
- Grief and loss
- Anger management
- Drug and alcohol issues
- Conflict resolution and bullying
- Self-esteem and assertiveness
- Having difficulties at home or at school
- Transition from primary school to secondary school
- The counsellor and counselling room can be a resource for information about various issues and concerns.
- Work with young people and their families and teachers to provide help with emotional, psychological and behavioural issues.
- Make referrals to other specialist community agencies and services to provide more specific help.
- Work together with the House Co-ordinators to provide support and help for students who might be having trouble with school and organisation.
- Deliver and assist in the delivery of proactive programs to educate the school community on a number of issues, such as Gorgeous Girls – a program for year 8 girls on body image and self-esteem.
To make an appointment you can:
- Speak to your House Co-ordinator or parent/guardian to make an appointment for you
Parents are very welcome to make contact with the service by phoning the school or the Centacare office on 02 6051 0207.