Standard Collection Notice – Xavier High School
- The School (the Diocese both independently and through its schools) collects personal information, including sensitive information about pupils and parents or guardians before and during the course of a pupil’s enrolment at the School. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable the School to provide schooling for your son/daughter and to enable them to take part in all activities of the school.
- Some of the information we collect is to satisfy the school’s legal obligations, particularly to enable the School to discharge its duty of care.
- Laws governing or relating to the operation of schools require that certain information is collected. These include relevant Education Acts, Public Health and Child Protection laws.
- Health information about pupils is sensitive information within the terms of the National Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act. We ask you to provide medical reports about pupils from time to time.
- The School from time to time discloses personal and sensitive information to others for administrative and educational purposes, this includes to other schools, government departments, (Catholic Education Office, the Catholic Education Commission, your local Diocese and the parish, schools within other Dioceses/other Dioceses) medical practitioners, and other people providing services to the School, including specialist visiting teachers, (sports) coaches, volunteers and counsellors.
- Personal information c ollected from pupils is regularly disclosed to their parents or guardians. On occasions information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupil activities and other news is published in School newsletters, magazines.
- The School may store per sonal information in the ‘cloud’ which may mean that it resides on servers which are situated outside of Australia (if applicable).
- Parents may seek access to personal information collected about them and their son/daughter by contacting the School. Pupils may also seek access to personal information about them. However, there will be occasions when access is denied. Such occasions would include where access would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others, where access may result in a breach of the school’s duty of care to the pupil, or where pupils have provided information in confidence.
- As you may know the School from time to time engages in fundraising activities. Information received from you may be used to make an appeal to you. (It may also be disclosed to organizations that assist in the School’s fundraising activities solely for that purpose.) We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
- On occasions information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupil activities and similar news is published in the school newsletters and magazines, school website and social media. Photographs of pupil activities such as sporting events, school camps and excursions may be taken for publication in school newsletters and magazines, school website, social media and on our intranet. If you do not wish images of your child to appear in any school publications please complete the Photography/Video Permission form.
- We may include your contact details in a class list and school directory.
- If you provide the School with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, we encourage you to inform them that you are disclosing that information to the School and why, that they can access that information if they wish and that the School does not usually disclose the information to third parties.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.